Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Amazing 45


For most people who play golf, this will be completely underwhelming. For those who know how long I have been attempting the game of golf, this will undoubtedly cause you unbelievable embarrassment on my behalf. However, it is without shame that I declare I had my best round of 9 holes ever on a traditional golf course. That score was a 45. This 45 was attained on the front nine of the Mt. Graham Community Golf Course and did not include one birdie. While that may sound odd to brag about not getting one birdie, those who know me best know that this means I did not have my signature blow up hole which results in my score card registering at minimum, an 8, often higher. Instead, my score card read, par, double, bogey, par, double, bogey, double, par, bogey. Two of the three pars were achieved on the par three holes, one of them while my playing companion whispered the words, "Tin Cup, Tin Cup". (To understand this reference see the Kevin Costner movie of the same title.) I recognize that many who play the game of golf will look away and shake their heads ever so slightly as a 45 to them is a disappointing day. But I...I walk a little taller today. The air is sweeter, the sun a little brighter and the world carries a little more meaning than it did yesterday. I am a new man. That is until I go out again and resume my regularly scheduled score of 52.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I loved your post. It brightened my day!! Your use of humor was terrific. Well, despite what you say, 45 isn't bad when your not cheating!! Bogey Golf Baby!! Good luck next time. I will be expecting better than 45. -- Lamar

    ReplyDelete