Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's Official and The Return of Loganisms


Our son Logan is at that age that some of the most memorable things come out of his mouth. Most everyone knows that age and I am also aware that the level of cuteness involved is directly tied to whether it is your child or not. Having said that, within the last twenty-four hours, he has provided us with three great moments. I share them with you now:


Yesterday, Shannon had to make an unexpected trip to Mesa and so I had a whole Saturday just me and the three older kids. We got our chores done in the morning and so around 11:30, I agreed to let us all play on the Wii for an hour or so. I made them what they wanted for lunch (Mac and Cheese) and then they got to play outside in front of our house while I changed the oil in my car. After that, the treat of all treats, I took them all out to dinner. We voted and the outcome was El Charro. Not only did I take them out to dinner, I let them listen to the Camp Rock CD in the van and I didn't even give Shannon's warning speech (this is not how we treat people. You know that, right? This song is not how Heavenly Father wants us to treat people.) before playing the song Too Cool. Talk about a hog heaven day. They told me several times, "Dad, this is the best Saturday ever!!! Mom would have worked our butts off. (They failed to realize I am also there every Saturday dealing out chores as well, but I wasn't going to mention that at this moment.) So we got to El Charro and Logan was very excited to get a gum ball. I explained I didn't have any quarters but he could get a mint if he finished his whole dinner (baby bean burro and french fries). My kids were perfect and they all did pretty well. Abby and Braden both needed boxes to take home left overs but Logan was almost done. So I got up to go pay the check and turn around to a tugging on my pants. The conversation went as such;


"What are you doing?"


"Paying the bill."


"But I'm not done."


"But you're close son, it's ok"


"But I'm not finished."


"I know. Go back and keep going. We won't leave until you are done."


"Ok."


He headed back to the table and commenced eating. I paid the bill and bought four mints. I gave one to Abby, one to Braden and one for myself. I handed Logan his and he said, "But Dad, I have to finish my dinner." I told him he had done well enough but he said no, he needed to finish before he got his mint. He had five french fries left. He then said, "Abby and Braden, do you want any french fries? I am happy to share with you." They each took two and he ate one last fry and then told me, "Ok, I am ready for my mint now." I love how exact and literal things are when you are four.


This morning when we woke up, Shannon came in to find Logan completely naked, wrapped in a blanket. Shannon got him dressed and when he was dressed, I asked him if his other clothes were wet. He responded that no they were not, just sweaty. I asked him if his sheets were also sweaty. He gave me his patented shrug. I then asked him to bring us his "sweaty" clothes. He brought them and pointed out that the underwear were the sweatiest of all. Shannon immediately put his "sweaty" clothes and sheets in the washer. Sounds like time to cut back on the heavy exercising activity of drinking lots before bedtime.


Lastly, our dog Buddy this morning had an incident that required a quick and immediate bath. I was assigned this doodie...I mean duty and got right on it. When I came in, I heard Logan ask Shannon, "Is Buddy coming to Church?"


"No, why?"


"Well, he got a bath this morning."


And there you have it. If you are going to bathe on Sunday morning, you should definitely be going to Church. I love this age.


In other news, it is official. The Rapier's are going to Disneyland. We booked our trip for Feb. 16 and can't wait. We have not been in about 3 1/2 years and Logan has never been. Alas, for Kate, she will not be included but that is probably best for everyone. As those who know us know, this is almost a Mecca like trip for us. Abby and I are already planning our dinner at the Corndog Castle. Shannon thinks this place is an abomination for serving foot long corndogs that are about two inches in diameter, but Abby and I are all about it. Logan has decided his first ride he wants to go on is Buzz Lightyear. Good choice! This will also mark the first time in about 8 years that Shannon will get to ride her favorite ride as it should be, the Haunted Mansion. The last several times we have gone, it has been the Nightmare Before Christmas edition. She hates that. Look for a post of some of our favorite Disneyland stories coming soon. If that sounds incredibly boring to you, I will title it well so you can avoid it. Today, the only thing that could make this sweeter is if Lost would return with new episodes. Oh wait, that is in just a week and a half. (The sound of a happy, contented sigh!)

6 comments:

  1. what a sweet bunch of kids you have. Danica loves them all to death. Your trip to Disneyland sounds like blast. I probably would have to drag Jim kicking and screaming if I ever wanted to go there again. Maybe someday he'll be up for taking the grandkids but i'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Loganisms!! They sound very similar to my Jasonisms. I especially found great humor in the sweaty bed. We had a sweaty bed just the other day. I was quickly blamed for the sweaty bed because I bought a new "softy" to go under the sheets (luckily I bought the new mattress protector just in time). Apparently it was so soft he couldn't wake up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little Logan sounds a lot like my Stevie. I just love that age! (minus the occasional tantrums)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Loganisms and can't wait for Disneyland. It's going to be a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, sweet Logie. He keeps us laughing! I love that kid.
    I'm truly happy that you guys get to go to Disneyland!!! I do know how exciting a trip this is for you all. Let me know if I can help with Kate while you're gone.
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids say the funnest things.

    ReplyDelete