Thursday, November 13, 2008

Indiana Jones and The Ipod of Doom

Isn't it funny what parents pass on to their children when it comes to pop culture. Don't get me wrong, children find most of their pop culture interests on their own, but certain things creep through. You know its true. Someone out there is going to totally relate to what I am about to say and is going to feel a sense of relief that they are not alone. Ok, maybe that's a bit melodramatic, but I own a Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits CD. Not only that, but Shannon and I will listen to it over many other CDs that we own. If not that one, The Mamas and the Papas get a lot of playing time, or possibly Mr. Neil Diamond. (On a side note, Shannon and I often comment that he is fantastic but should completely avoid singing covers of other people's stuff. In our opinion, the moving moment from Les Mis when Fantine is preparing to die just loses some of its emotional zing when it comes via the nasal inflections that only Neil Diamond can produce. "I Dreeeamd a Dreeeam of Days Gone BYYYyyye" Not good. Also, his rendition of Candlelight Carol causes the same reaction in me as my nine year old deciding that her high pitched fake laugh is so entertaining it needs to be repeated over and over loudly in a very echo inducing kitchen. PLEEEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!) Some of my greatest musical memories include listening to my Dad's Chuck Berry tape or my parents Everly Brothers LP. (I have totally dated myself by the reference to an LP. My only defense is that I was very young at the time.) And we are all that way. Shannon has a real affinity for The Carpenters thanks to her mother. I personally find that Unisom is slightly more effective than The Carpenters, but not by much. She also enjoys early 70s era country music thanks to her Dad. Sometimes this phenomenon has very detrimental effects. I was at my good friend Heath's house the other day and we were listening to his Ipod when Janis Joplin came on. I thought to myself, "Wow. All the good and positive ideals and lessons Heath's parents taught him and somehow, they overlooked the damage they were doing by listening to this? Tragedy." I could be wrong, but I think Timilee, his wife, agrees with me. But long story short, I find it fascinating to hear or see other people's pop culture interests and especially those that were clearly influenced by their parents.

That brings me to the realization that I am doing the same to my kids. I think one of the first times this hit me hard was when my then four year old son was walking around singing, "Hello, you fool, I love you." In 1990, I think that was my favorite song. Braden and Abby love it so much, I now hate that song. Tell me parents if this isn't something you have had to do. You hear the opening note or sound of a song on your Ipod that your children have listened to no less than 187 times in the last week and you lunge to skip to the next song before they recognize it is coming on. It never works. Children recognize what they are hearing long before any parent ever will. My children's current list of favorites to skip ahead to on the Ipod: Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins, Wild Thing - The version from the movie Major League, not the Jimi Hendrix version, I Need To Know - Marc Anthony and Abby's current favorite, Mr. Policeman - Brad Paisley. (I can't tell you how happy I am that at least one of my children is buying into my Brad Paisley obsession. I thought for a while I might be a lone man in the wilderness.) Also some music is timeless and passes through multiple generations. My dad, myself and my son Braden all love Sloopy, Sugar Sugar and Devil With A Blue Dress.

Lastly, I am also going through a back door of indoctrinating my sons on the coolness of Indiana Jones (Movies 1-3. Movie 4 does not count. At times, I pretend it does not exist.) I have not let my 6 nor 3 year old actually watch these movies, but I have rented the Wii version of Lego Indiana Jones and they LOVE IT! By letting them beat up Lego people that shatter into several individual Lego pieces, I am hoping to build a bond that will last a lifetime of watching these classic movies together. For those who don't believe mindless violence can build said bond, I submit that my Dad and I still can sit for over an hour watching old Looney Tunes cartoons and still be laughing our heads off when Yosemite Sam falls off that diving board for the 5th or 6th time. (We have purchased DVDs of the Looney Tunes and I am indoctrinating my kids with those too. I figure after being subjected to them as a child and then never having dropped an anvil on someone's head myself, they are probably ok. This is now a family treat to watch these together.)

I don't ever want to wish away time. My kids are growing up way to fast as it is. But I have to admit that I wish I could get a time machine and go forward in time and see what my kids are listening to on their invisible, weightless musical helmet that is voice activated to play whatever song you request. It would be interesting to see what, if any, of mine and Shannon's musical influence made it through. I pray it's not The Carpenters.

4 comments:

  1. hahahaha...you said it all so well!! I swear Ryan, you could take Andy Rooney's job, and do it much better! You said everything I've ever thought about the music I listen too (which is on constantly), but can never put into words. Kudos to you!!! BTW...I'm right there with your wife on the whole 'Carpenter's' thing (does she know "Sweet, Sweet Smile"? That's MY favorite!!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shut UP! You listen to The Mamas and the Papas? I don't know ANYONE my own age (or around there) that listen to them. They are my absolute favorite, and I know it's because I used to listen to my parents' records when I was young. I LOVE the Carpenters - know every one of their Christmas songs too. Love Neil Diamond, Johnny Mathis, Donny and Marie, Andy Williams - Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, Saturday's Warriors soundtrack - Barbara Streisand.

    Shannon - you're cool! Del rolls his eyes when I breakout in a Carpenter's ditty. Because I break out in song a LOT - it's a regular musical around my house.

    My boys are addicted to U2 and Bon Jovi and Toby Keith - because Del loves them.

    I listen to all kinds in the car - top 40 everything, yeah I'm cool like that. But they all still love the 80's music too. "Oh Mickey you're so fine...." We love music, there's ALWAYS something on at my house.

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I agree with you on three very important points... first, Neil Diamond should stick to his own, he is famous purely on style, and style has it's limits (plus, if he would just stick to what he does best I could continue to like him without Mike having a reasonable argument that he "can't sing worth anything"), second, either do the fourth movie right or... well there really is no "or", I have not been so disappointed in a movie since I could remember. And third, I highly believe in the positive effects on boys fostered only through healthy forms of destruction. Blast away.
    As for the musical legacy we are leaving our kids, their current fav's are "Stickshifts and Safetybelts" by Cake and "Love Shack" by the B-52's. I consider them to have a highly advanced ear for such quality.
    Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you will notice this indoctrination as I drive into the school parking lot with Jimmy Eat World blasting. Ryan and I both really like this group and now Annikah thinks it is THE group! I believe she likes them over the Jonas Bros! I have also passed on my love of musical theater music (thus beginning with my father). We often have Phantom or Les Mis blasting as well. I have also started indoctrinating my children on old movies (again from my parents)and by old I refer to the 40's and 50's. Oh and shall we say my children think the Hallmark movies on the Hallmark channel are the best?
    Oh How I miss Looney Tunes! Kids just don't know life with out them.

    ReplyDelete