Monday, October 26, 2009

The Sleeping Toilet Awards

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you find yourself so exhausted that you catch yourself falling asleep in the craziest places? Come on, you know you have. Apparently, Logan had one of those recently. It was roughly 4:00 in the afternoon and I hadn't gotten home yet from work, but Logan had to use the bathroom for "#2". After taking care of his business, he made the call to Shannon to come and help him clean up a bit as he does after every movement of the bowels. At this point, I guess it is as good a time as any to mention that both of my boys have this issue of liking to be completely free while taking care of that life function. I don't think Braden does it as much, but in their hey day, both would prefer to strip down completely before...you know. Anyway, so Logan was naked as a jaybird following Shannon's helping hand. She told him to get dressed and she was going to go check on the rest of the kids. She walked outside and got Kate in a moment that couldn't have taken more than...5 minutes at most, more than likely less. She then went to go back inside and got bitten by our new door handle. I recently installed a new door handle on the front door that is always unlocked on the inside regardless of its status on the outside. It can be very confusing, especially since our previous handle did not do this. Anyway, you can guess where this is going in that Shannon was now locked outside. Not a problem, Logan is in there and he can come answer the door...at least in theory. After a couple of doorbell rings and a great deal of ferocious knocking, she finally gives up and goes around back and is able to get in the back door. She calls out for Logan...no answer. After looking for him all over, she finally finds him here:



Now don't worry, he did not slip and fall knocking himself unconcious (as Shannon was at first concerned he might have done). No, he was just overcome with exhaustion and laid down. As a father, I find a little solace in the fact that he at least got his underwear on first. I think that's good thing, isn't it? Anyway, this was on the heels of a couple of very busy weeks and before a couple of very busy weeks were about to begin. I found I could relate to the boy. In that light, I would like to present the first annual Sleeping Toilet Awards. (The truth is, I will never likely give these out again, but my other option of putting the words "toilet" and "Lifetime Achievement Awards" in the same sentence is probably not a good idea.) This year's recipients are:

1. Rhett and Alysia Dodge - Rhett has been in the bishopric with me for six months and also had the opportunity for his company to win the contract to put the windows in for the Gila Valley temple. That is a great blessing but has led to a lot of hours. Add that to the fact that Alysia just got called into the Primary Presidency and suddenly we need to be wary of sleepwalkers on Church St. I am sure the Dodges do not read this blog, so if anyone wants to inform them they have won a Sleeping Toilet award, I am sure they would be thrilled.

2. Heath and Timi Brown - The Browns just returned from a week long vacation in Disneyland. That is enough to cause anyone to need a couple of days recovery in and of itself, but the Browns then finished off their week by hitting Disneyland one last time Saturday morning and then making the full nine hour drive home that afternoon/evening without a break. I have done that once without hitting the park first and let me tell you...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I fell asleep just thinking about it. So congratulations Browns, you are a Sleeping Toilet award winner.

3. Ryan and Shannon Rapier - I realize how conceited it may appear to create an award so you can give it to yourself, but...oh well. We have just been through a week where every child except Kate has vomited during the hours of darkness. I hate cleaning vomit. That has nothing to do with the award, it is just something I feel very strongly about and felt it needed to be said. Also, my apologies to Hannah Dodge for having to come watch our kids without us realizing Abby was so close to refunding her enchiladas back to the earth that gave them to her in a way not originally designed by the Creator. Anyway, this comes in the midst of a Saturday that began at 4:30 a.m. for a temple trip with the youth, a night of work where I was on the committee to provide a BBQ to the night shift and coming this Saturday, helping direct traffic for the "Gila Valley's first 1/2 marathon and any other non-related event we could throw into one event" event, which will begin at 5:45 a.m. This week and the two that have preceded it are just insane. So crazy, that I feel the need to come up with a name for it...Oh yeah, Life! I think I will check with Logan if there is any additional space by that toilet. It looked pretty comfortable for him.

Any nominations for a Sleeping Toilet Award will be accepted and likely awarded. There are probably many deserving winners.

Finally, I have a beautiful daughter who is growing up too quickly that I want to brag about. So here is Kate admiring the rose bush my Mom gave us a couple of years ago. I think she looks like her dad.

2 comments:

  1. You know... this is not the first post I've read of yours that has mentioned vomit or vomiting with such vividness. Its probably because of your wretched disdain for that particular bodily function. I myself can handle any bodily substance without even batting an eye.... except VOMIT. My children may look pitifully sick but the moment I hear the rumblings of a gastric explosion, I turn them the other way and run for the hills. Can't handle it man!
    Your cousin
    Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail at making me laugh :). I think I should nominate myself...a working mother (in other words... I have 2 full-time jobs), and in the Young Womens Presidency (that alone is enough to occupy all my spare time). I often find myself falling asleep while at the computer.

    ReplyDelete