Monday, December 1, 2008

The Anti-Griswolds










Has anyone else ever had a holiday or vacation where you wanted so bad for it to go well and you built it up in your mind to the point where if anything goes wrong it will send you into depression for at least a week or two? Ok, maybe that is a bit over dramatic, but you get my gist. I really try to avoid doing that because I have seen the movie Christmas Vacation and I learned the valuable lesson they were trying to teach. In fact, I know I am not alone in this because my sister-in-law told me once that she has learned the best way to enjoy times with family or events that have significance is to sometimes lower the expectations and enjoy what happens as opposed to what you think should or want to happen. So as we headed into this last week, I kept trying to visualize that moment when Clark W. Griswold stands in front of his family after surviving a number of horrific events. (If you haven't seen Christmas Vacation, most of this will mean nothing to you. I apologize but the scene I am describing is priceless.) You know the scene where in spite of everything, he has finally got his Christmas bonus which he was counting on because he had put a down payment on a pool based on this bonus and was really starting to stress out because it hadn't arrived. When he opens it and realizes it isn't a bonus but is a membership to the Jelly of the Month Club, that is the epitome of having your dreams dashed because you had your expectations too high. It is also one of the most classic tirades ever recorded on film. Anyway, I kept visualizing that in hopes that I would not get my expectations too high for this Thanksgiving week. I am very happy to report that there was no reason to worry. Thanksgiving was everything I hoped it would be and more. The only thing I would have changed was that I hadn't had to work Monday through Wednesday and could have spent more time with my family in Duncan. I don't want it to sound like I was dreading this week prior, I just was so excited and looking forward to it that I worried I would be disappointed. (Shannon will be the first to tell you that I am always thinking through every situation and determining just what can go wrong. It is a terrible curse.)
Wednesday night, our family got dressed up and went to Holladay's for family photos. They are so great to work with there and amazingly, Kate was awesome despite having had nap issues earlier in the day. Kristin, the photographer, has an amazing way with kids and my kids thought she was awesome. Shannon got all up in my grill (I have always wanted to use that phrase in the blog, but couldn't figure out how. I am trying to convince myself I am still hip. By using the word hip, I am proving I am not.) about wearing a blue shirt since everyone else was going to be wearing white. I would like to thank Jerry for wearing a blue shirt to save me the embarrassment of having to admit to her later that she was right. After pictures, everyone came to our house for pizza. Jerry and Kirt ended up staying until midnight playing games. Games are what our family does. Nothing brings families together like competition to the death.


Thanksgiving was a laid back affair. We got up Thursday morning and I baked the pumpkin pies, we piddled around and finally got to Duncan about noon. Dinner was fantastic and we even got the kids to try turkey this year. Well, Braden and Abby. Logan had a roll I think. After dinner, everyone got some rest, my dad and the kids walked the dog and then the games recommenced. All of my victories in the train game, Ticket to Ride, were washed away in the family card game as I took a bath and came in last. I am pretty sure I said something about hating that game and throwing a minor tantrum. AAAHHH good times!!

Friday, we returned and helped my mom decorate for Christmas. One of her favorite things to do is decorate the Christmas tree with my kids. Logan was in charge of putting the candy canes on the tree and since he is four, obstinate and again, four, my mom's tree has a candy cane "section" as opposed to a tree decorated throughout with candy canes. (See Photo) Kirt gave the kids a new game for the Wii (which we had taken with us to keep them busy) called Super Mario Galaxy. I am not sure we saw Braden again the rest of the evening. Mid afternoon, the gaming started anew and continued throughout the evening. I not only lost a lot, I lost mostly to my wife. It shouldn't, but that drives me crazy. Most other couples we play with will be supportive of each other and maybe help each other just a bit here and there. Not us. We give each other nothing. We also stick strongly to the rule that in every game, Shannon is the green player and I am the red player, based on our high school colors. We have done that our entire marriage. We have even gone back to the miniature golf people and requested new golf balls that were the correct colors. We are pathetic. (The only sad note of the weekend was seeing my mom's stamina. She was always the one leading the game charge into the wee hours of the night. Unfortunately, she was good for about one game and then she would watch for a while. On the plus side, she got some good play dough time in with the kids.) It was really tough to say goodbye Friday night. Our family had not been together like that for over five years, maybe longer. It was such a good time that I didn't want it to end. But, reality came calling in the end and so now we look forward to Christmas.

As if all of that wasn't enough, Saturday, after putting up my Christmas lights all morning, I got a visit from a young man named Danny Kay. Danny is from the Liverpool area in England and was nine years old when I last saw him. My companion and I taught his family and on my last weekend in that area, we baptized them. He was in Arizona for a wedding and drove down to spend the afternoon with me. It made me feel unbelievably old (that happens a lot these days) to realize he is now 25, but it was so awesome to see him. I got caught up on his life and he on mine. Braden was so excited to hear someone with an English accent. He told anyone who would listen that someone from another country was coming to our house. After he left, we spent a fun evening with Shannon's family. It was good to get some time with Danae and Lamar. We don't see them enough since we moved.
Overall, I don't know how the week could have gone much better. I definitely did not have a "jelly of the month club" moment the whole time. (It came close when I got up at 5 a.m. to go get a Christmas tree at Home Depot only to find out they were only sent 10. A whole different story, but TEN???) I am blessed to have the family I have and can't wait to be together again at Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I would agree!! It was an awesome Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like y'all had a great time together. Families are definitely the best. I'm sure Danica and Cody missed out on game playing. We never got any games out. In hindsight we should have.... But we had a great time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I am glad the holiday was wonderful for you! I too am cherishing any time I can have with my mother as we are realizing that our time with her is growing shorter. Funny about your post, and expectations...and your game playing competitiveness. I just sent this article out to my family in preparation for our family gathering for my parents 50th wedding anniversary same idea, different twist check it out when you get a chance http://www.msnbc.msn.com:80/id/27879672/
    I believe the closer your expectations are to reality the greater your happiness will be. So the idea of NOT having expectations greatly increases your chances of having a happy experience!

    ReplyDelete