Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Musings

I am sitting here in my office today with very little to do while I wait for a phone call from a doctor we are hoping to attract to the Gila Valley. I am a little down because Danae and Lamar are in town and Shannon's whole family is hanging out and getting ready to go play in the snow on Mt Graham, which is still coming down at the moment. So, with nothing else to do, I decided to take the time to record my thoughts and reflections on this Christmas and those that have come before.

1. When I was about six or seven years old, our family got the game Clue for Christmas. My family has always been big on games and this is one of the first that I got to play at the "Big Boy" table. I will never forget my introduction to Rapier game playing. Our first game was going along smoothly when I ventured into the Library. Not having a clue (ha ha) what I was doing, I suggested Miss Scarlet in the Library with the Revolver. (This should prove how scarring and influential this event was on my life. I remember those three things as clear as day.) No one showed me any cards. I didn't have any of the cards and so had I been a little quicker on the uptake, I would have realized that I now had the opportunity to win the game by accusing. I did not. Now some parents would point this out to their children and help them learn the game and give them a positive "I am special" kind of moment by pointing out what I was missing and letting me win the first ever Rapier Family Clue game. My mother did not. She was next and she started her turn by accusing Miss Scarlet with the Revolver in the Library and won the game. She then pointed out to me that if no one shows you anything, you probably ought to accuse. She also pointed out that she knew I wasn't savvy enough to be bluffing and actually be holding one of the cards I was suggesting in my hand. She was right, but I did the next game. I was the only seven year old I knew who was now crafty enough to suggest cards I had when I played Clue. Thanks Mom

2. One of my favorite memories ever is of Abby when we first got our video camera. She wasn't quite two but was speaking perfectly and was also in that stage where all other clothing other than her underwear was completely inhibiting. One of our first videos is of Abby in front of the Christmas tree in her underwear singing Jingle Bells. She gets quite upset when someone tries to help her. (Oh how so much has not changed.) I miss that little voice and that beautiful long curly hair. However, I am glad she has taken to wearing clothing.

3. Talking to my parents for the first time during my second Christmas in the mission field. Our mission had had a "no phone call period" policy in effect for the first 18 months of my mission until the Church established a Churchwide rule of Christmas and Mother's Day. That was a really neat experience to hear their voices for the first time in a year and a half.

4. Going to see the Christmas lights at the Temple and then going to a hot chocolate (coffee) house nearby. Abby was 2 I believe and a guy walked in with his hair done in that obnoxious style where they would take a square and pull all the hair into a point so that it looks like a head full of spikes. Shannon and I both could see she zoned right onto his head and watched him without blinking. We were just waiting for the comment that was sure to come. We almost made it and then as he was headed out the door she said, "How come he has stickers all over his head?" I am sure it was much cuter if you were there, but we had a good laugh.

5. When my Uncle Jack's family would come for the Rapier Christmas Eve party in a Honda Civic. These Honda Civics were much smaller than today's version and it was incredible to see two parents and seven kids climb out of that car. If I remember right, they would have one child on my aunt's lap in the front seat, the three oldest in the back seat with two on their laps and then my cousin Annette in the back window. If any of them read this, please correct me if I am mistaken. Bottom line, that was almost better than the circus version of the clown car. And thinking about it makes me shudder what would happen if a cop pulled them over today.

6. The year Braden was two and got a car track for Christmas from Santa. He couldn't be bothered to hardly open his other presents and when he would, he would look at them and put them down and head right back to the car track. There aren't a lot of times that Santa really gets it that right. You treasure the moments when he does.

7. Same year, we made cookies while we decorated the tree. We told the kids they couldn't have any until the tree was done. Braden repeatedly walked over and put his nose directly into a cookie. "I'm just smelling it!" You can't beat the innocence of a two year old at Christmas.

8. Our last few Christmases with Keith. This is one of those that you remember them more fondly in hindsight for obvious reasons, but I remember him sitting next to Lamar during Lamar's first Christmas with the family and the two of them just laughing constantly. When he gave Marilyn her ring. Seeing the look in his eyes as he watched Abby open presents with her broken arm. Playing horse outside with Clinton's new basketball, then the next year, playing horse outside with Clinton's new basketball. Clinton was tough on basketballs through overuse.

9. Looking for my name on my Granny's Christmas tablecloth at the Rapier Christmas Eve party. She had a cloth with all of her kids' names on it and then all of her Grandkids' names. It was so cool when I would find mine. I wonder where that table cloth went to.

10. My dad would also start a fire in the fire place and burn all the wrapping paper on Christmas morning when we were done opening the gifts. It was the only fire we generally had all year and the flames were all really cool colors because of the color in the paper. He still does that and I still love it.

I think I am ready for Christmas now. Christmas memories are the best. Merry Christmas to everyone and may your day be filled with new memories that last forever.

Below is a neat article that I think speaks to the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3789373

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Thanks for sharing the memories. Amazing how we fret about what we get for our kids, but when we think of our own memories they rarely are centered around the gifts that were received.
    As for the Honda Civic moments. Sounds about right. I do remember driving up to Duncan in the back of the civic, which was a hatchback. I specifically remember, I think it was Grandpa's last Christmas, driving up and counting the stars through the window as we drove up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cool to read about your memories. That First Christmas with Keith was sure awesome. As you can see I made it home. I'm looking forward to New Years Eve though. It can't come fast enough.

    ReplyDelete